Clodagh's wholesome summer Italian minestrone
Clodagh is bringing back the sunshine with the colours and flavours of the Med in a bowl! This is her super simple fresh and wholesome Italian summer minestrone.
One pot minestrone soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
800ml hot vegetable stock
400g chickpeas / butter beans, drained and rinsed
400g tin of good-quality tomatoes
2 tsp of dried oregano
Handful of baby spinach
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated parmesan cheese
1. Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil and then stir in the vegetables and garlic. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the lid and stir in the tomato puree, cook for a further minute.
3. Stir in the tinned tomatoes, chickpeas, dried oregano and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat.
4. After 15 minutes stir in the baby spinach.
5. Serve with a grating of fresh parmesan cheese.
NotesYou can add macaroni, orecchiette, or small shell pasta instead of the chickpeas
So many vegetables work in this minestrone – butternut squash, courgettes or red peppers are good ones.