Donal Skehan's gingerbread sandwich cookies
Donal’s continuing his tour of all things festive in Berlin by visiting the beautiful Christmas light displays before making his delicious Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies.
Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 12 cookie sandwiches
For the cookies:
170g butter, softened
50g granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
50g dark brown sugar
100g treacle or black molasses
1 large free range egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaped tsp baking soda
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
A generous pinch of sea salt
250g plain flour, sifted
50g stem ginger, finely chopped
For the filling:
100g butter, softened
150g icing sugar, sifted
½ tsp ground ginger
1. In a mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugars until light, pale and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla extract and treacle and beat until well combined.
2. Fold through the remaining ingredients until well combined and rough dough forms. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Divide the dough into 24 evenly sized balls and toss in granulated sugar before placing on the baking sheets at least 10cm apart, as they will spread. Lightly press down to flatten the balls then place in the oven and bake for 8 -12 minutes or until they have spread and crack slightly. Be careful not to over bake, the edges should be firm but the interior should remain chewy.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. While the cookies cool, prepare the filling by beating the butter with the icing sugar until completely smooth.
7. Spread a dollop of the filling onto half the cookies with a small offset spatula and sandwich together with the remaining half of the cookies.