Donal Skehan's one-pan pizza with fennel and sausage
Donal's back in the kitchen with a weeknight cheat's pizza. It's easier than you think - there's no rise on the dough and you make the pizza in a frying pan!
It’s Donal's quick and easy one-pan pizza with fennel and sausage.
For the dough
500g 00 flour
½ tsp salt
1tsp baking powder
2tbps natural yoghurt
2tbps extra virgin olive oil
150-200ml warm water
For the sauce
2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
1 tsp chilli flakes
For the toppings
16-20 slices Italian salami
1 bulb fennel, very finely sliced
200g grated mozzarella
125g ball buffalo mozzarella
2 tbsp runny honey
Good pinch chilli flakes
Small handful basil leaves
1. Heat the oven as high as it will go
2. Make the dough, mix the flour and baking powder with ½ tsp of salt. Add the water, yogurt and oil and mix together and knead until you have a smooth dough.
3. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli followed by the passata. Simmer until reduced a little to a lovely thick spreadable sauce.
4. Heat a skillet or heavy based ovenproof frying pan (cast iron is the best) over a medium-high heat on the hob. Add a little of the remaining oil to this and allow to heat.
5. Divide the dough into 4 and roll each out to the size of your skillet. Put in one of the pizza bases and cook for a minute until it bubbles lightly, then spread with a ¼ of the sauce and scatter with salami, fennel and cheese.
6. Put in the oven for 5-6 minutes until golden and melted. As soon as it comes out, drizzle with honey, chilli flakes and scatter over basil leaves. Slide onto a board and repeat with the rest of the pizzas, devouring the first one as the second cooks.