Donal's 10-minute donuts with spiced caramel
Donal’s in the kitchen with a no-fuss sweet treat.
His buttermilk vanilla donuts can be made in 10 minutes, and you can even swap the homemade caramel with a jar of Dulce de Leche for speedier results!
10-minute donuts and caramel sauce
125ml double cream
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
200g caster sugar
90g unsalted butter
2 large free range eggs
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
30g unsalted butter, melted
300g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp caster sugar plus extra to dust
600ml vegetable oil to fry
1. Make the sauce first by warming the cream in a pan on a low heat with the spices and set aside to infuse for at least 15 minutes.
2. Put the sugar in a pan and gently melt over a low heat then increase and bubble until you have a deep brown caramel.
3. Add the butter and stir as it splutters, then sieve in the cream and spice mix and stir till you have a smooth rich caramel. Pour into a bowl.
4. For the donuts, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter in a mixing jug.
5. Stir the flour, baking powder and sugar together in a separate bowl then add the wet ingredients and mix till you have a thick paste.
6. Heat the oil in a deep pan until it reaches 180°C/360°F. With two oiled spoons, shape the mix into round balls (you should make around 24) and drop into the oil, frying in batches for 3-4 minutes until golden and puffed.
7. Drain on kitchen paper and toss in caster sugar whilst still warm. Serve with the spiced caramel sauce to dunk them in and enjoy!