Donal's fudgy chocolate ripple brownies
With the half-term underway, Donal is showing us an easy winner for guests of all ages. His decadent fudgy white and dark chocolate ripple brownies are an irresistible one-dish traybake best served with a large helping of raspberries. Yum!
Perfect fudgy dark and white ripple brownies with raspberries
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
100g white chocolate, broken into pieces
150g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster (superfine) sugar
75g soft light brown sugar
3 large free-range eggs
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
150g plain (all-purpose) flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) square tin with baking parchment.
2. Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of just simmering water. Set aside too cool a little bit. Do the same with the white chocolate in a separate bowl.
3. With a hand-held electric whisk, beat the butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs together in a small jug then gradually pour them into the butter and sugar mixture, whisking the whole time until you have a fluffy smooth mix. Beat in the vanilla bean pasta and then the flour. Divide the mixture in half.
4. Gently fold the melted dark chocolate into one half of the mixture and the white chocolate into the other half.
5. Roughly dollop the mixture like a checkerboard into the prepared tin and push the raspberries into the mixture. Use the end of a teaspoon to swirl the two colours together.
6. Bake the brownies for 35-40 minutes so that a skewer comes out almost clean but still a little bit sticky. Leave too cool completely in the tin before cutting into squares. These taste even better the next day so try not to eat them all straight away!