Weekdays 10am-12:30pm ITV

Elder abuse helplines

Elder Abuse


Abuse and neglect of vulnerable people

Help and information on what to do if you think a vulnerable person is being abused.  Everyone has the right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.

Hourglass (Formerly Action on Elder Abuse)

UK Helpline:  080 8808 8141


One in six older people are victims of abuse. That’s over 16% of our mothers, fathers, uncles, aunties, grannies, grandads, friends and neighbours. The Hourglass mission is simple: end the harm, abuse and exploitation of older people in the UK.  We have nearly 30 years’ experience as Action on Elder Abuse and over that time our work has touched tens of thousands of people, it’s shaped government policy and amplified the issue in national press. That’s why Hourglass is so vital.

Ann Craft Trust

Tel: 0115 9515400 


Our services are used by both national and local organisations including the NHS, Police, the Crown Prosecution Service and Social Care. We also support individual professionals as well as parents and carers on how best to support and protect young people and adults from abuse.  Everyone at ACT is dedicated to safeguarding disabled children and adults at risk.

Age UK

Helpline: 0800 055 6112


Protection from abuse 

The Age UK Group works to improve later life for everyone by providing life-enhancing services and vital support.  Age UK has a vision of a world in which older people flourish. We aim to improve later life for everyone through our information and advice, campaigns, products, training and research.

Which – Raising Concerns & Complaints

Making a complaint about a care provider

If you need to make a complaint about a care home or domiciliary agency, there are procedures in place to help you take your worries further. Don’t be afraid to speak up – if you don’t raise concerns, nothing can be done about them. Raising awareness of problems could help to make things better for your relative, as well as for other people being cared for by the same provider.


Mind Infoline: 0300 123 3393 

Mind Legal advice service: 0300 466 6463

Abuse by health and social care workers

For information and advice on mental health law and other legal issues relating to mental health.

Professional Bodies

Care Quality CommissionTel: 03000 61 61 61


Regulates the quality of health and social care and look after the interests of people detained under the Mental Health Act.  We’ve registered over 18,000 care homes and publish all of our inspection reports, which check on the essential standards of quality and safety.

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)Tel: 0300 500 6184


Statutory agency that regulates social workers in England. The website provides a register of health professionals who meet the HPC's standards and also gives advice on how to make a complaint and about 'fitness to practice'.

Local Government Ombudsman

Tel: 0300 061 0614


The Local Government Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations, including education admissions appeal panels and adult social care providers (such as care homes and home care providers). It is a free service. Our job is to investigate complaints in a fair and independent way - we do not take sides.  If you have a problem with a council service, you should first complain to the council. But if you are still not satisfied, we may be able to help. Click here for more information on how to complain – or call our helpline.

Parliamentary and Health Service OmbudsmanComplaints helpline: 0345 015 4033


Carries out independent investigations into complaints about unfair or improper actions or poor service by the NHS and UK government departments that cannot be resolved at local level.



Ofsted inspects and regulates the educational, economic and social wellbeing of children, young people and adult learners. This includes the care and local services.  To make a complaint or you have a concern about any service Ofsted inspects or regulates go to the How to complain page or call 0300 123 4666.

Weekdays 10am-12:30pm ITV