Fab at 50!
When it comes to looking and feeling great, they are the ladies in the know!
In the first of our brand new series where Tonia Buxton, Liz Earle and Lisa Snowdon offer their expert advice, we find out the secret to staying fit and looking fabulous in your 50’s and beyond.
This week the ladies discuss their fitness regimes - including some ‘unique’ exercises, Tonia cooks up a libido boosting lamb dish and even jumps into an ice bath!
Slow cooked lamb with dates
For the lamb
5 tbsp olive oil
2kg leg of lamb
4 onions, finely sliced
250g dried chopped dates
fresh dates if in season (optional)
1 bunch of finely chopped parsley
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 head of Garlic, some finely sliced, leave some whole
½ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
For the marinade
3 tbsp tomato paste
½ bottle red wine
2 tsp ground cumin
Fresh dates if in season (optional)
Salt & pepper
For the bulgar
1 onion, finely chopped
olive oil for frying
2 vermicelli nests
200g bulgur wheat
1 can chopped tomatoes
400ml vegetable stock.
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan and seal the lamb on both sides until browned. Remove from the pan and put in a casserole dish.
3. Add remaining oil to the pan and fry the onions, dates, parsley, spice and lastly, the garlic.
4. Place the onion and date mixture on the lamb. Season well with salt and pepper.
5. Whisk the marinade ingredients together and pour over the lamb.
6. Cover with foil, place in the oven and then turn down to 150C.
7. Cook for at least 4 hours checking to make sure it does not run out of liquid. If needed, top up with stock or wine.
8. For the bulgur wheat, In a large pan, gently fry the onions until translucent
9. Crush the vermicelli and stir into the mixture
10. Add the cracked wheat and stir well so it is all covered in oil.
11. Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
12. Add the stock and season with salt and pepper.
13. Simmer on a low heat for 15/20 minutes checking to make sure it doesn’t stick on the bottom.
14. Turn the heat off, cover with a tea towel and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving
15. Serve the lamb with the bulgar wheat on the side.