Gas safety and carbon monoxide poisoning helplines

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. Fuel burning appliances such as stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters can produce Carbon Monoxide if they are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Each year, there are around 20 deaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning and many more people suffer health problems due to Carbon Monoxide exposure.

See our helplines below for more information and support.

NHS Direct

Helpline: 0845 4647

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms and treatment

Health & Safety Executive

hse.gov.uk

HSE GAS Safety Advice Line: 0800 300 363

Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign

co-bealarmed.co.uk

The national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide.

Gas Safe Register

Tel: 0800 408 5500

gassaferegister.co.uk

The Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. Always check your engineers is on the Gas Safe Register

National Grid

If you smell gas call: 0800 111 999

nationalgridgas.com

Safety advice from the National Grid