Get ready for the match with Phil Vickery's football feast
After their triumphant win against Germany, England are preparing to take on Ukraine in tomorrow's nail biting quarter final. And to get us ready for all that cheering, Phil Vickery's in the kitchen with the ultimate football feast - which includes his loaded nachos, cheesy chips and frying pan pizza!
Cheesy hot dog chips
1 kg triple cooked oven/fries
8 smoked hot dog sausages finely chopped
2 small onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely crushed
600ml water, roughly
2 x beef stock cubes, crumbled
Dash Worcester sauce
Salt and ground pepper
2-3 tbsp cornflour / arrowroot
200g grated strong cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 220C gas 7.
2. Place the chips into a deep tray drizzle with a little oil and cook for 15 minutes. Stir well and cook for a further 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile place all the ingredients into a and gently simmer for 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
4. Mix the starch with a little water. Stir small amounts into the simmering stock, onions and sausage. Cook until thickened but not too thick.
5. Serve the fries in a deep bowl and top with the hot dog gravy and sprinkle over lots of cheese and serve.
Easy pan pizza style
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes in juice
2 tbsp tomato puree
1tbsp any vinegar I used malt vinegar
250g self raising flour
100g fat free yoghurt
4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp dried oregano
Ground black pepper
200g buffalo mozzarella sliced
50ml olive oil
Cracked black pepper
1 small fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 220C Gas 7.
2. Place the oil into a saucepan and heat. Add the onion and cook over a high heat to take a little colour. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes, do not burn. Add the tomatoes, puree and vinegar and cook down until you have thick dry pulp, about 15 minutes.
3. Next place the flour, salt, basil, oregano and pepper into a bowl and mix well. Add the yoghurt and enough water to make a really soft dough. Knead, but don’t over knead.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface nice and thin to fit a large ovenproof frying pan. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes to set the base, remove from the oven.
5. Spoon over the tomato sauce thinly and evenly, close to the edge. Add the mozzarella slices over evenly. Add the olive oil and pepper. Re-bake until cooked and crisp, say 12-14 minutes.
6. Sprinkle on the basil leaves, serve and enjoy!
200g tortilla chips
4 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 small red onions, very finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, pasted
2 tbsp tomato puree
400g sun-blush tomatoes, chopped
2 ripe plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Juice 2 large limes
2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar
Chopped fresh from 2 ripe avocados
200ml sour cream
250G Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat the grill to its highest setting.
2. Heat the 4 tbsp olive oil, then add the onions and garlic, soften for 2-3 minutes. Then add the tomato puree and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the sun-blush tomatoes, mix well and remove from the heat and cool.
4. Once cooled add the chopped fresh tomatoes, coriander, lime juice and sherry vinegar, season well with salt and pepper.
5. Arrange the tortilla chips in an ovenproof dish and spoon over the salsa, cheese and grill for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
6. Remove from the grill and spoon over the avocado and sour cream and sprinkle on the chopped coriander and chopped chives.