Ghoulishly good party food
If you're set to have a house filled with little terrors this Halloween, then Juliet Sear has some ghoulishly good treats guaranteed to keep even the scariest of monsters quiet!
From Rice Krispie Brains to edible graveyards, Juliet has Halloween food for your ghouls covered!
RICE CRISPIE BRAINS:
300g Mini Marshmallows or big ones cut into smaller chunks (with scissors, makes it easier for melting) I use vegetarian marshmallows, you can use either.
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
150g Rice crisp cereal
Red writing icing in a tube (or make your own if you wish)
Sunflower oil for greasing your hands
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.- In large saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and vanilla and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.- Tip in the cereal and stir until well coated. Let cool slightly so it’s easy to handle.- Use a little oil to grease your hands to prevent sticking as and when you need to. Take out a good handful of the mixture and using your hands, push the ball together into an oval shape and place onto the tray, do this for all of the mixture.- Once all the shapes are ready, make the centre line on each ‘brain’ by pushing the edge of an oiled spoon handle gently into the treats to form a line down the centre.- Now it’s time to add the gory bit!! With the red writing icing, add the blood vessel details over the brains to look like blood vessels. These look really gross but sure are tasty!!!
CHOPPED FINGER HOT DOGS:
Hot dog sausages or veggie dogs
Small soft bread hotdog rolls
- Using a small sharp knife slice a fingernail shape from the end of the hotdog sausage and remove.- Smear a small amount of cream cheese over the cut surface to make a finger nail.- Make cuts along the hotdog sausage to look like knuckles and tear the end from the hot dog to make the finger look severed.- Squirt tomato ketchup over the finger to look like blood.
CANDY FLOSS GHOSTS ON STICKS
We made our own candy floss - ready made is just as good which can be bought from party shops or online.
200g tub candy floss
Long wooden kebab sticks
A large pumpkin or something sturdy to stand the ghosts on stick on.
- Take a small amount of candy floss and shape in a triangular ghost shape. Make a few and stick on the ends of a kebab stick then stand in your sturdy base.
- With the end of one of the kebab sticks or fine piping bag make chocolate faces on the ghost.
GINGER DEAD MEN & GRAVE STONES
200g soft butter
200g light muscovado sugar
Teaspoon ground ginger
Teaspoon of cinnamon
375g plain flour
Black, red and white icing to decorate
- Mix the butter and sugar and spices until combined, add the egg.- Tip in the flour and bring together to a dough.- Roll out with extra flour for dusting and cut out shapes as required and bake on parchment lined tray at 180c until golden brown and cooked through, 12-15 mins depending on size- To decorate the dead men- snap some heads, legs and arms and pipe red writing icing for blood and black for faces and scars.- For the Tombstones- pipe fun words on each biscuit like Boo! And RIP and leave to dry
SPIDER WEB CUPCAKES
We used shop bought cup-cakes and icing for speed, if you want to make your own, try the recipe below. Have fun colours, adding it to the sponge and icing, you may want to colour it green and cut out the centre and fill with red coloured strawberry jam so they also have a hidden ‘bloody’ centre?
200g strawberry jam
A little red food colouring
For the edible spiders:
16 edible black boobbly jelly sweets
50g black ready roll black icing
Tube white writing icing
Tube of black writing icing
- To make the bloody centres mix the strawberry jam with a little red food colouring.Remove the centres of the cakes with an apple corer and inject the hole with jam.
- Add a little bit of the removed sponge pieces to plug the hole then pipe over with buttercream in a swirly pattern
To Make the spiders- Using a small sharp knife slice the bottom of each jelly sweet, leaving just the dome piece. Roll very thin pieces of black icing for the legs and place the jelly sweet on top.- Pipe white blobs of icing for the eyes and black for the pupils.- Add candy floss web and top with your edible spider.
CUPCAKES AND BUTTERCREAM
Serves: 12- 16
For the cupcakes: (makes 12-16 cupcakes)
200g room temp soft butter
200g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
1 tsp Bright green food colouring
4 medium eggs
200g self raising flour sifted with ½ tsp baking powder.
For the buttercream:
250g soft unsalted butter
500g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 180c- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and colouring until pale and creamy.- Slowly beat in the eggs and then fold in the flour on a slow speed.- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for about 12-15 mins until cooked through. Leave to cool.- To make the buttercream, beat the butter and vanilla until pale and creamy.- Gradually add the sugar and add a tablespoon of recently boiled water to lighten, then beat on high until creamy.
Container to make the graveyard
Approximately 1kg ready made brownies
Your choice of Halloween sweets - worms, bones, etc
Cookie grave stones method:
- This is simply a case of filling up whichever type of container you wish, try and find something spooky and graveyard-ish.- Crumble the brownies into the container to resemble soil then bury your candy worms etc into the ‘soil’.