Gino D'Acampo's cannelloni pasta bake
Prepare for trouble as Gino’s back in the kitchen! He’s making a comforting classic - his cannelloni pasta bake, filled with courgettes, peppers, and mascarpone and nestled in a tasty tomato sauce. This hearty dinner is just the thing to feed the whole family.
Cannelloni stuffed with courgettes, peppers and mascarpone
2 large courgettes, very finely chopped into tiny cubes 1 large onion, finely chopped 1 red or orange pepper, very finely chopped into tiny cubes 4 tbsp olive oil 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 100ml double cream 10 basil leaves 250g mascarpone cheese 100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated12 fresh egg lasagne sheets, about 11x16cm each Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large shallow saucepan or frying pan, fry the courgettes, onion and pepper in the regular olive oil over a high heat for 15 minutes, until soft. Season with salt and ½ tsp pepper, then place in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/ Gas 6.
3. Pour the canned tomatoes into a medium jug with the extra virgin olive oil, cream, basil leaves and salt and gently stir to combine.
4. Pour a large ladle of the tomato sauce into a baking dish measuring about 30 × 25 cm and spread it out to cover the base. Set aside.
5. Take the bowl of the fried vegetables and stir in the mascarpone and 70g of the Parmesan cheese.
6. Lay the lasagne sheets on a work surface and divide the mascarpone mixture between them. Roll up the sheets to secure the filling.
7. Place the cannelloni seam-sides down in a single layer on top of the sauce in the baking dish.
8. Pour over the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
9. Once ready, allow to rest out of the oven for 5 minutes, then portion and serve with your favourite salad.