Gino's Christmas truffle pasta cookalong
He’s in the kitchen ready to show Phillip and Holly how to make his ultimate Christmas indulgence - fresh pasta with white truffle!
To prove how simple this is Gino will be asking Phillip and Holly to cook along with him - what could possibly go wrong?!
For the dough (makes 400g)
300g flour, plus extra for dusting
3 medium eggs
½ tsp fine salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the sauce
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Fresh truffle, grated
Grated Parmesan/Pecorino (optional)
1. For the dough, sift the flour onto your work surface. Make a well in the centre and break in the eggs. Add in the salt and oil.
2. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, mix the flour into the eggs, working from the centre outwards. Once you have a crumbly texture, gather the mixture together with your hands and start to knead until you have a soft dough.
3. Once the dough has come together, continue to knead for about 8 minutes, using both hands, exactly as if you were kneading bread.
4. Roll the dough into a ball, cover with cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Once the dough has rested, simply flatten it with your fingers so that it can fit through the rollers of the pasta machine.
6. Flour the pasta lightly on both sides and start to roll it through the pasta machine from the widest setting to the thinnest. Make sure you keep the pasta dusted with flour at all times. Then roll the pasta through the tagliatelle cutting attachment, gently lifting the strands as you do so. If you do not have a pasta machine you can cut the tagliatelle by hand. Dust the work surface, the dough and rolling pin with flour to prevent sticking.
7. Boil roughly 4 litres of water in a large pan and when boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente (keep checking as you cook). When cooked, drain the pasta, reserving some of the pasta water.
8. Toss the sauce ingredients, apart from the cheese (if using), into the drained pasta, fully coating it. Add in some of the reserved pasta water to mix again and loosen. Then mix in the cheese (if using). Serve into a pasta bowl and top with black pepper and grate over the truffle.