Gino's Italian sausage and bean casserole with garlic ciabatta
He’s back with a super simple midweek family feast - his Italian sausage and bean casserole is a guaranteed one pot crowd pleaser.
Italian sausages and beans with garlic ciabatta
6 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
2 x 400g tins borlotti beans
2 x 400g tins cannellini beans
900g Italian sausages or good quality pork sausages, cut in to pieces 4cm long
400ml hot vegetable stock
1 tbsp tomato puree
3 tbsp chopped fresh, flat leaf parsley, plus extra to garnish
1 Ciabatta loaf, cut diagonally into slices 2cm thick
1 large garlic clove, peeled
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole over a high heat. Add the onions, rosemary, chilli flakes and salt. Fry for about 12 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, drain any excess juices from the top of the beans. Do not drain completely, as the juices will help to create a smooth, thick sauce. Set aside
3. Add the sausages to the pan and fry for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. Add the beans, stock and tomato puree, season with salt and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes (uncovered) stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, stir in the parsley and let it rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat a ridged cast-iron chargrill pan over a high heat for 5-10 minutes.
5. To make the garlic ciabatta, rub or brush a little oil on both sides of the bread. When the pan is very hot, lay the ciabatta in the pan and grill for about 1 minute each side or until dark golden brown. Rub the garlic clove over both sides of the toasts.
6. Divide the sausages and beans among warm bowls, sprinkle over the parsley and serve immediately with the garlic ciabatta.