Gino’s next adventure in Sardinia
Gino continues his tour of the stunning island of Sardinia with a trip to Oliena, a village inside the so-called 'Blue Zone', which has a high concentration of people living to one hundred years old. While there he tries some of the local wine before cooking lamb cutlets with mint sauce and Sardinian honey.
Lamb With Peas And Smoked Pancetta Agnello Con Piselli E Pancetta Affumicata
100g smoked pancetta, diced
6 large thyme sprigs
150g frozen peas, defrosted
4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled, halved lengthways
2 tbsp olive oil
8 lamb cutlets, bones trimmed
1 tbsp good-quality mint sauce
½ tbsp runny honey
Knob of salted butter
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black peppeR
1. Place a frying pan over a medium heat, add the pancetta and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the fat to be released.
2. Stir in the thyme, then add the peas and garlic with a pinch each of salt and pepper, then stir and cook for a couple of minutes.. Pour in 5 tbsp water, mix well and heat through for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the lamb cutlets in a dish and drizzle over the mint sauce and honey. Season with salt and pepper and massage the marinade into the cutlets.
4. Heat a large griddle pan. Add the lamb, brushing over any extra marinade. Cook for about 40 seconds on each side, for rare lamb, or longer so they are until cooked to taste.
5. Add 2 tbsp butter to the peas and pancetta and heat until melted. Spoon onto serving plates then top with the cutlets and drizzle over a little extra honey.