Gino's perfect tiramisu
Today is a good day, because after a very long break - Gino is back in the kitchen, ready to show you how to make the perfect tiramisu.
200ml strong espresso coffee (cold)
160ml amaretto (almond liqueur)
160ml double cream
3medium eggs, separated
35g caster sugar
300g mascarpone cheese
275g Savoiardi biscuits (sponge fingers)
½ tbsp cocoa powder for dusting
80g toasted flaked almonds
For the compote:
400g pitted cherries
75ml amaretto (almond liqueur)
2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Pour the coffee into a bowl and stir in 100ml of the amaretto. Set aside. Pour the cream into a bowl and whip until thick enough to hold its shape and form soft peaks. Set aside. Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk on full speed until they form stiff peaks.
2. Tip the egg yolks into a large bowl and add the sugar. Whisk with a balloon whisk for about 5 minutes or until thick and pale and increased in volume. Add the mascarpone and whisk to combine. Gently fold in the whipped cream and remaining 100ml of amaretto.
3. Using a metal spoon, gently fold one third of the egg whites into the mascarpone mixture until well blended. Fold in the remaining egg whites until well combined. Set aside.
4. Dip one of the biscuits in the coffee and amaretto mixture for no more than two seconds. Lay the biscuit, sugar-side up, in the base of a ceramic dish, about 23 x 23 x 5. Repeat the process, lining up the biscuits, until the bottom of the dish is covered.
5. Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the biscuits, then cover with another layer of the remaining biscuits dipped in coffee as previously. To finish, top with the remaining mascarpone mixture and smooth the surface. Loosely cover with cling film and chill for at least 4 hours.
6. Meanwhile, make the compote. Put the cherries in a small pan with the amaretto and sugar. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute then leave to cool.
7. Just before serving, carefully remove the cling film, dust the top of the tiramisu with a thick layer of cocoa powder and sprinkle over the almonds. Serve with the cherry compote.