Gok Wan's giant king prawn sweet and sour salad
Gok’s back with his ultimate feast, best enjoyed in the sun - Gok’s Giant King Prawn Sweet & Sour Salad.
Plus, his lychee martinis.
For the panko prawns:
6 large king prawns, deveined
1 egg, beaten
50g plain flour
1 tsp Garlic powder
½ tsp five spice
75g panko breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
For the dressing:
¾ clove raw garlic, grated and pound in a pestle and mortar
1 ½ tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp sugar
½ medium red chilli, chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
3 tbsp salted peanuts
For the salad:
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cucumber, deseeded and cut into thin diagonal slices.
¼ small red onion, finely sliced
mixed salad leaves - I’m using a mixture of lambs lettuce, rocket, watercress and spinach.
1. For the seasoned flour, mix the flour with the ground garlic and Chinese five spice and put to one side.
2. For the prawns: dust the prawns in the seasoned flour, dip in the egg and coat in panko breadcrumbs. Shallow fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
3. To make the dressing, pound together the garlic, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime, sugar, chilli and spring onion in a pestle and mortar until you reach a smooth dressing. Add the peanuts and pound again to break them up.
4. To serve, dress the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and salad leaves and pile high on a plate then top with three of the panko king prawns.
For the lychee martini
25ml lychee liqueur
25ml lychee syrup, plus 1 lychee (from the tin)
2 tsp dry vermouth
Lychees, to serve
1. Pour the vodka, liqueur, syrup and vermouth into a cocktail shaker. Fill up with ice then shake.
2. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a lychee.