Gok's chicken and prawn nasi goreng
It’s the perfect Friday night comfort food, and one of Gok’s all-time favourite dishes. He’s in the kitchen to create the classic Indonesian dish, nasi goreng.
Chicken and prawn nasi goreng
Rice bran oil for frying
1 small white onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1cm fresh ginger, minced
2 spring onions, sliced.
1 medium red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
3 tinned anchovy fillets, chopped
1 chicken breast, boiled and shredded
6 pan fried king prawns
1 tbsp light soy
1 tbsp of dark soy
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp of dark sugar
2 cups of cooked white rice *see important note below regarding rice*
Salt and white pepper
1 fried egg
2 diagonal slices of cucumber
2 quarters of fresh tomato
Diced spring onions
1. Stir fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 minute, then add anchovies, chicken and prawns and stir fry for a further minute.
3. Add the light soy, dark soy, fish sauce and sugar and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the cooked rice and cook until piping hot. Season to taste. Add the spring onions.
5. Spoon into a Chinese rice bowl and pack well. Turn out on a plate.
6. Add fried egg to the top and sprinkle with spring onions
7. Serve with cucumber and tomatoes
The rice must be cooled down immediately, within one hour of cooking and kept in the fridge until you reheat it
Do not reheat rice unless it has been chilled down safely, and only reheat rice once
Make sure it is very hot (steaming) all the way through before eating