Gok’s chicken and sweetcorn soup with guilt-free spring rolls
If you’re in the mood for takeaway tonight, Gok’s in the kitchen with the perfect alternative for you today. He’s giving two takeaway classics a makeover today as he shows you how to make his version of chicken and sweetcorn soup, with a side of his guilt-free spring rolls.
Gok's guilt free spring rolls
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 spring onions, very finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
8 water chestnuts, chopped very finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tbsp light soy
4 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
¼ tsp white pepper
Pinch of salt
8 large spring roll wrappers
A little water to seal
1 tbsp vegetable oil for brushing before cooking
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Add the spring onions, carrots, water chestnuts and garlic and gently fry for 15 minutes on a very low heat, to just soften.
2. Add the sauces, pepper, salt and the bean sprouts and cook for another minute or so, to wilt.
3. Take the vegetables out of the pan and allow to cool, then place in a tea towel and squeeze out any excess liquid.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C, gas 6.
5. Place two of the spring roll wrappers onto a clean surface, place a quarter of the mixture inside in a horizontal line across the centre of the wrapper leaving a small 1cm border. Dip your finger in water and run it around the border.
6. Pull the bottom corner of the wrapper up and over the mixture, followed by each side. Roll the pastry tucking the mixture in until you reach the end. Press lightly to ensure the end has stuck properly. Repeat with the remaining mixture and wrappers.
7. Place the spring rolls onto a wire rack over a baking tray, brush with 1 tbsp oil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning over half way through, until golden and crisp.
8. Serve with the chicken and sweetcorn soup.
Chicken and sweet corn soup
2 chicken breast fillets
300ml chicken stock
1 x 425g tin creamed corn
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
Salt and white pepper
1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil, to taste
To garnish: spring onions, finely chopped
1. Heat the chicken stock and 200ml water in a medium pan until boiling. Add the chicken breast then simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to cool slightly, then dice the breast meat.
2. Add 500ml water to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the diced chicken and creamed corn and any other juices from the tin. Stir well to mix, then cook to a gentle simmer for 5-10 minutes, to allow the flavours to mix.
3. Drop in the beaten eggs and swirl them around in the water so that the eggs cook in strands. Season with the soy sauce and a good pinch of pepper.
4. Stir in the cornflour paste, continuing to stir until the soup is thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary, adding a little more soy sauce if needed.
5. Finish the soup with a couple of drops of sesame oil sprinkled on the top to taste. Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with the chopped spring onion.