Gok's Chinese chicken curry pie
Gok’s back in the kitchen whipping up a Chinese takeaway classic, with a twist!
He’s taking that traditional Chinese takeaway curry, and encasing it in buttery pastry to make a winter warming pie.
Chinese takeaway pie
For the sauce
Ground nut oil for frying
2 onions cut into strips
5 crushed garlic cloves
2 carrots sliced into thick discs
2 tbsp plain flour
4 tsp medium heat curry powder
600ml chicken stock
2 tsp clear honey
4 tsp light soy
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garam masala
For the pie
1kg shop bought shortcrust pastry
Groundnut oil for frying
2 large cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 diced onion
8 button mushrooms, cut into thick-ish slices
100g frozen peas
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1. Heat a little oil in a wok or deep saucepan.
2. Fry the onions and garlic for 2 mins until soft. Add carrots and cook on a low heat for 8 mins.
3. Add flour and curry powder to the onions, garlic and carrot and cook for 1 minute.
4. Gradually stir in the stock, mixing well and beating out any lumps.
5. Add honey, soy and bay leaf to the saucepan and bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the garam masala and allow it to cook for 1 minute and then strain the mixture through a sieve.
7. In a separate saucepan, fry the onions and mushrooms with a little oil and when soft add the peas.
8. Add the cooked chopped chicken and the strained curry sauce. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
9. Switch on the pie maker and while it heats up, cut out pastry bases and lids for the pies.
10. Put the base pastry circles into the machine and fill with the chicken curry mixture. Add a pastry lid, close the machine and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown and the filling is piping hot.
Tip - Freeze any leftover curry mixture for another time.