Gok's shredded chilli beef with rice
We might all be staying in this Friday night, but you can still enjoy that authentic dine-out flavour at home.
Gok’s in the kitchen to show you how to recreate that delicious oriental flavour, with his quick-and-easy crispy beef.
Shredded chilli beef
1 cup corn flour
2 eggs, beaten
450g fillet beef, sliced into thick matchsticks
Groundnut oil, enough to deep fry
1 tbsp groundnut oil
2 tbsp ginger, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot, cut into thick matchsticks
½ white onion, cut into strips
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tsp rice vinegar
½ tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp honey
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1- 3 tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Place the corn flour into a large bowl, and the beaten eggs into another.
2. Add the beef to the eggs and mix thoroughly. Now dredge each beef slice in the corn flour and bang off any excess.
3. Fill a deep fat fryer, wok or large pan, one third full with oil and heat to 180c. Carefully drop the beef slices into the oil in batches and fry until crispy. Remove and drain on a wire rack or on some kitchen roll.
4. Heat a non-stick wok with 1 tbsp oil; add the ginger and garlic and fry for 20 seconds. Add the carrot and onion and continue to fry for a further 1 minute.
5. Now add the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, honey, spring onions and chilli flakes and bring to a boil.
6. Add the crispy beef and coat evenly then serve hot with the rice.