Gok Wan’s shredded crispy chilli beef and egg fried rice
Talking of takeaways, Gok has the perfect dish to make your Friday night just right! He’s in the kitchen whipping up a trusty favourite, his shredded crispy chilli beef with rice. It’s sweet, spicy, sticky and crispy - could you really ask for anything more?
Gok Wan's shredded crispy chilli beef
500g of beef steak frozen, eg sirloin, rump, fillet
Groundnut oil, for frying
6 garlic cloves, minced
30g ginger, chopped finely
½ onion, strips
1 carrot, cut into small julienne
4 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp light soy
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
Pinch of white pepper
½ tsp paprika
2 spring onions, finely sliced
½ - 1 tbsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
½ tbsp sesame oil
1 green chilli sliced, for garnish
steamed rice, to serve
1. Cut the beef into thin strips.
2. Beat eggs in one bowl, and put cornflour in another.
3. Remove the beef from the freezer and dip in the egg mixture, then coat in the cornflour.
4. Heat the oil in a wok. Once hot, add the beef in batches, cooking for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Heat a small amount of oil in a separate wok, add garlic and ginger and fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and carrots and stir fry for 1 minute.
6. Add all the sauces, honey, sugar, white pepper, paprika, spring onions and chilli flakes and bring to a simmer.
7. Next add the beef strips and stir in the sesame oil. Serve on a mound of steamed rice and add green chilli slices to taste.
Gok's egg fried rice
2 tbsp bran oil
4 spring onions, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 eggs, whisked
350g cooked long grain white rice *see important note below regarding rice*
Light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce
Salt and white pepper
1 spring onion, sliced
1. Heat a wok on a high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil
2. When the oil is hot, add the spring onions and garlic to the wok and fry off for 2 minutes
3. Add in the eggs and scramble in the bottom of the wok
4. When the mix is 90% cooked, add the rice. Stir fry for 1 minute until piping hot and steaming.
5. Add all the other ingredients and stir fry. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
6. Serve with extra spring onions