Gok's 'Yuk Sung' cook along!
Gok’s back making a delicious dish that’s ready in under 10 minutes. To show off just how easy it is, Dermot and Alison will be cooking along, making ‘Yuk Sung’ - a light and healthy Chinese meal stuffed with prawns, pork and fresh veg.
Oil to fry
1 inch ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 large, red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
10 chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
125g green beans, cut small
80g baby sweetcorn, cut small
8 bamboo shoots, drained and finely chopped
50g water chestnuts, drained and roughly chopped
150g cooked prawns, chopped
¾ - 1.5 tsp five spice powder (depending on your taste)
80g cashew nuts
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1tbsp light soy sauce
½ tbsp dark soy sauce
1.5 tbsp Shaoxing wine
A drizzle of sesame oil
Oil to deep fry
2 baskets of vermicelli rice noodles
8 large leaves of iceberg lettuce
1. Heat a little oil in a wok. Add the ginger, garlic, red chilli, and carrot and fry.
2. Add the mushrooms, green beans, sweetcorn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and prawns. Fry for a few minutes.
3. Add the five spice powder.
4. Add cashew nuts, oyster sauce, light and dark soy and shaoxing wine. Simmer the ingredients.
5. Fill a deep pan one third full with oil and heat to 170C.
6. When hot, carefully add the vermicelli a little at a time and fry for a few seconds, it will puff and cook.
7. Remove the noodles to kitchen paper to blot excess oil.
8. Spoon some of the cooked mixture into lettuce cups then top with a little of the fried vermicelli.