Holly's favourite dish - Aubergine parmigiana
We're getting the viewers involved today as we put Phillip and Holly's favourite dishes head to head!
But will it be Phillip's mushroom risotto or Holly's aubergine parmigiana that gets the viewers' vote? Clodagh's here to cook up the winning dish! Aubergine parmigiana
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp dried oregano
2 x 400 g tins of cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 large bunch of fresh basil
3 large aubergines, sliced (1cm thick)
100g Parmesan cheese, grated (leave 20g for the topping)
50g Panko breadcrumbs
30g pine nuts, chopped
150g buffalo mozzarella
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add 2 tbsp of olive oil, then stir in the diced onion, and crushed garlic. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and dried oregano – season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Place a griddle pan over a high heat, once the pan is hot grill the aubergines on both sides until lightly charred.
5. Spoon a layer of tomato sauce into a baking dish, then add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, a few torn basil leaves, followed by a single layer of aubergines. Repeat these layers until you’ve used all the ingredients up, finishing with a little sauce and another good sprinkling of Parmesan.
6. Toss the breadcrumbs and pine nuts together, and the 20g parmesan. Sprinkle the topping on top. Finally tear up the mozzarella and scatter on top. Bake at 190°C for 30 minutes.