James Martin's Bank Holiday picnic pie
James is taking all the things we love about a picnic and turning it into a delicious pie! Sausage and apple sauce encased in flaky pastry served with homemade brown sauce - enjoy alfresco with family and friends!
James Martin's sausage & apple picnic pie
75g golden sultanas
1 x 10cm swirl pork sausage
100g bramley apple sauce
400g ready rolled all butter pastry
2 egg yolk
200ml HP brown sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200c
2. Soak the sultanas in boiling water for 20 minutes, then drain
3. Pan fry the sausage until golden on both sides and then set aside to cool
4. Cut 1 x 12cm circle and 1 x 14 cm circle from the pastry, then place the smaller circle onto a lined baking tray. Top with the sausage, then dot with the apple sauce and then cover in the other pastry circle. Press down to seal the edges and then scallop the edges.
5. Using a butter knife, decorate to top with swirls, then egg wash and bake for 20 to 25 minutes
6. Blitz the sultanas and HP brown sauce until smooth and serve alongside the pie