James Martin's grilled sardines with tomatoes on toast
To celebrate the long awaited opening of outdoor spaces at restaurants James is in the kitchen making his sell out dish from his menu.
So if you've not managed to book a table at your favourite restaurant then fear not, James’ recipe for grilled sardines served two ways will deliver some luxury at home, but without the effort you might think.
18 cherry tomatoes, cut in half horizontally
3 cloves garlic, sliced
Few sprigs of thyme picked
25ml olive oil
Salt and pepper
12 sardines, gutted and scaled, backbone removed
50ml olive oil
4 slices sourdough, charred or toasted
4 tbsp tomato chutney
1. Preheat the oven to 150c/fan 130
2. Place the tomatoes onto a large oiled baking tray. Dot with the garlic and sprinkle with the thyme. Drizzle over some olive oil and season then bake for 2 hours. When done, remove and set aside.
3. Preheat the grill to it’s highest temperature
4. Place the sardines onto a large baking tray and drizzle in oil, season and then grill for 3 - 4 minutes, or until cooked through
5. To serve, sit the charred bread onto plates, spread over the chutney, dot with the roasted tomatoes and then sit the sardines on top to finish.