James Martin's perfect pork with crunchy crackling
After promising Phillip and Holly a pork masterclass, James Martin is back to give us exactly that. He shares his quick and easy method to produce perfect pork and the crunchiest crackling, all served up with apple sauce and mashed potato.
Slow-roasted pork shoulder with apple sauce
3.5kg shoulder of pork, boned and rolled Salt
For the apple sauce
2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped2-4 tbsp light brown sugar50g butter75ml ciderSalt to taste
For the mashed potato
1kg mash potatoes100g butter 100ml double cream
For the gravy
300ml stock 200ml cider Knob butter
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/475F/Gas 9
2. Score the skin of the pork with a sharp knife into diamonds and rub the surface with the sea salt
3. Place in a deep sided roasting tray and place in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes. This will shock the fat.
4. Then turn the oven down to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and cook for 2 hours until very tender and golden brown. Remove from the oven and rest for 30 minutes.
5. To make the apple sauce, place the apples, sugar, butter and cider into a saucepan, cover and place over the heat. Cook until the apples have broken down, roughly 4-5 minutes. Mix with a spoon then season a little salt.
6. Meanwhile, in a pan over a medium temperature, heat the mash with the butter and cream until hot and season
7. To make the gravy, place a pan over a medium heat and add the stock and the cider and bring to the boil. Reduce by half and then finish with a knob of butter.
8. Serve the pork with the mash, apple sauce and gravy