James Martin's sweet treats!
James’ celebration of butter continues, he’s back with some of his ultimate sweet treats! He’s whipping up miso butter fudge and creating the decadent icing for his chocolate hazelnut cake.
James Martin's Miso Fudge
Makes 20 pieces
397g can condensed milk
450g soft light brown sugar
125ml full-fat milk
2 tbsp white miso paste
1 tsp sea salt
1. Line a 20cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Place all the ingredients, apart from the salt, into a large non-stick pan. Bring to a rolling boil at 112-114C for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Take off the heat, cool for 2 minutes, then whisk vigorously by hand for a minute before pouring into the lined tin.
4. Sprinkle over the sea salt and leave to cool at room temperature for 2 hours.
James Martin's Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
200g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
200g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
300g dark chocolate, melted
100g icing sugar
200g butter, softened
75ml double cream
50g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until white and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder and spoon the mixture into the tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, use a knife to cut the cake in half horizontally.
3. Whisk together the melted chocolate and icing sugar and, once cool, beat the mixture into the butter, whisking for 8-10 minutes.
4. Pour in the cream and mix until fully combined. Spread a thick layer of icing onto one of the cakes and sandwich the other cake on top. Spread the remaining icing all over the rest of the cake and sprinkle with the hazelnuts to decorate.