James Martin's Whitby scampi in a basket
James Martin is finally back with us in the studio today, and he’s brought a taste of Yorkshire with him. He’s recreating the UK’s best fish and chips, making traditional Whitby scampi in a basket.
Whitby scampi in a basket
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
200ml veg oil
1 lemon juice
250g self raising gluten free flour
1 tsp salt
300g raw langoustines de veined
300g raw shelled prawns
300g monkfish tail, cut into 2 cm chunks
1. Heat some vegetable oil to 180C in a deep fat fryer
2. To make the mayo, put the egg yolks and Dijon into a small food processor. Whilst blitzing slowly, drizzle in the oil and when thick, add the lemon juice. Set aside ready for serving.
3. Mix all of the ingredients together for the batter, then add in the shrimp, langoustine and monkfish and coat completely
4. Fry the fish in batches until golden and then drain onto kitchen paper. Season with salt.
5. To serve, pile into a basket with a dollop of mayo and a lemon wedge