James Martin's winter chicken ceasar
James is back in the kitchen with a winter warmer packed with goodness.
He’ll be whipping up a Caesar salad like no other, as he shares his technique for spatchcocking the chicken, and serving it warm with his homemade caesar dressing.
Winter chicken caesar
For the chicken
1 large chicken spatchcocked and slashed
8 slices bacon
3 slices thick cut bread
1 small bunch thyme
1 small bunch rosemary
50m olive oil
Salt and pepper
For the salad
Selection of winter salad leaves
For the dressing
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, poached in wine or water for 3 mins and drained or roasted in the oven and allowed to cool
200ml veg oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
50g grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Place the bread onto a roasting tray and top with the chicken, herbs and lemon. Season generously with salt and pepper and drizzle over the oil.
3. Roast the chicken for 30 minutes.
4. To make the dressing, blitz the egg yolks and Dijon in a food processor.
5. Add the garlic and anchovies then slowly drizzle in the oil until thick. If you prefer a thinner dressing add a splash of water. Finish with the vinegar and parmesan and mix well.
6. Remove the tray from the oven and top with the bacon then roast for a further 30 minutes.
7. To serve: chop up the bread for croutons. Mix the lettuce with chunks of the chicken and bacon, drizzle over dressing and serve.