James Martin's winter stew
James is here with a final send off for the year, he’s gifting us a recipe that will be on the menu in the Martin household this Christmas.An indulgent creamy chicken and tarragon winter stew served with classic mash to soak up all the sauce.
serves 4 to 6
1 x 2kg corn fed chicken, portioned into 8
100ml alsace white wine
300ml chicken stock
1 stick celery, sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 leek, sliced
Few sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
Few sprigs of tarragon
100g piece of pancetta
200g wild mushrooms, sauteed
Salt and pepper
For the emulsion
4 egg yolks
200ml double cream
mashed potato and heart shaped croutons dipper in parsley.
1. Pop the chicken pieces into a large non-stick pan and cover in wine, stock and then add the celery, onion, leek, thyme, bay and half of the tarragon, and bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove the chicken and bacon and place onto a warm plate, strain the vegetables, keeping all the cooking liquor in the pan and bring back to the boil then reduce by half.
3. Whisk in the egg yolks and cream and add to the liquid and gently warm through, whisking until thickened.
4. Cut the cooked pancetta into lardons and saute in better with the mushrooms.
5. Put the chicken into the sauce with the sauteed pancetta and mushrooms and season then sprinkle over the rest of the tarragon.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes and croutons.