Joseph Denison Carey's chocolate and caramel tart
An indulgent treat for a Friday - Joseph Denison Carey’s in the kitchen with a sweet treat that’s surprisingly simple to make but guaranteed to impress!
Chocolate and caramel tart
Makes: 1 tart
9 inch shortcrust pastry tart case, blind baked for 15 minutes at 190c.
Caramel (you can buy pre-made caramel if you prefer)
200g caster sugar60ml water60g butter (cubed)60g double cream
200g whole milk190ml double cream60g caster sugarApproximately 5-6 large egg yolks150g dark chocolate
1. Start by making your caramel; Place the sugar and water into a pan and bring to a golden caramel stage, this will be 175c in temperature. Next add the cream and whisk in gently. Then mix in the butter in the same way.
2. Pour into the pastry case to create a thin layer of caramel and allow to cool
3. Now to make the chocolate filling, start by bringing the milk and cream to the boil
4. In a bowl, whisk the sugar and egg yolks until pale and fluffy
5. When the milk and cream mix is boiling, slowly pour the egg yolk and sugar mixture, while whisking. Once this has all been added, transfer back into the pan and place back on a low heat to thicken stirring continuously.
6. Once thick enough to coat a spatula, add in the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Lightly tap to remove air bubbles.
7. Now pour this layer over the caramel in the pastry case, and leave to cool a little and then set in the fridge overnight