Joseph Denison Carey's tarte tatin
After the success of his debut cook on the show, Joseph is back cooking the French classic tarte tatin, an impressive looking pudding with just five main ingredients.
Joseph shows just how easy it really is to wow guests with his gooey caramelised apple tart with ice cream.
Serves: Makes 1 tart
80g butter, room temperature
130g caster sugar
4 large green apples (I like to use Granny Smith)
1 box pre-rolled puff pastry
1 cast iron skillet
Vanilla Ice cream
1. Preheat fan oven to 170 degrees, gas mark 5
2. Place the butter into the bottom of the cold pan and cover with sugar
3. Peel, core and segment the apples, and lay them on top of the sugar in a spiral pattern around the pan with a half apple placed in the middle
4. Cut out a lid of puff pastry and lay it over the apples, tucking it in at the edges
5. Caramelise the sugar on a low heat on the hob for about 20 minutes, or until you can see it starting to go golden around the edges of the puff pastry and you can smell the caramel! Place the pan into the oven for half an hour, reducing the temperature by 10 degrees every 10 minutes.
6. When cooked, carefully flip onto a plate or chopping board and allow to cool. Serve with ice cream.