Joseph's show-stopping frangipane tart
Joseph is here with a dessert he learned in Italy, and what's better it's a showstopper that can be made simple. Joseph has some tips and tricks to make this dessert even easier to make, using a shop bought base and what's more you can add whatever you fancy to the top from summer fruits to chocolate - delicious.
Cheats strawberry frangipane tart
Pastry cream (this quantity will make more than you need but it is delicious served alongside the tart)
100g double cream
1 vanilla pod
135g egg yolks (7 medium egg yolks)
135g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
25g plain flour
85g ground almonds
85g whole eggs
85g softened butter
180g pastry cream or shop bought fresh custard
22cm sweet, cooked pastry case (you will find these in most supermarkets)
600g Strawberries, hulled and quartered
A few thinly sliced basil
Icing sugar, to dust
1. To make the pastry cream, place the milk, cream and vanilla pod in a large pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, salt and flour. Add half the boiled cream mixture and mix in, then return the mixture to the pan and whisk together. Heat gently, whisking all the time, until the mixture thickens.
3. Pour the pastry cream into a bowl and whisk until the mixture has a soft shine. Cover, and leave to set in the fridge. Joseph’s Tip: if you don’t want to make your own pastry cream, then you can use a good quality shop bought fresh custard in its place.
4. Preheat the oven to 150C. To make the frangipane, cream together the butter and sugar.
5. Mix in half the eggs, then the almond powder. Add the remaining egg then mix in the pastry cream or shop bought fresh custard.
6. Spoon the frangipane into the tart case and smooth over the top.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
8. Arrange the strawberries on top and sprinkle over the basil.