Juliet Sear's guilt-free brownies
Following the success of her lemon drizzle cake, Juliet's back with another midweek treat. This time she's tackling the classic chocolate brownies by cutting the calorie count in half!
Juliet promises delicious rich and fudgey chocolate brownies that you'd never know were half the calories... what's not to love?!
375g drained black beans
110g half fat butter, melted and cooled
100g light muscovado sugar
85 g golden syrup
3 medium eggs
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
90g dark chocolate chips, melted and cooled
50g dairy free cocoa powder
30g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine sea salt
NOTE: Total calories = 2,393 cals for WHOLE SLAB!
1. Grease and line an 8-10 inch brownie tin with baking parchment and preheat the oven to 170C fan
2. Place the black beans in a food processor and blitz to a puree for a few pulses
3. Add the cooled melted butter, sugar, golden syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, vinegar and blitz again until you have a smooth speckly paste. Pour in the cooled chocolate and blitz in. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt, then sift about half of this into the liquid mix, fold through, then add the last half and fold through again gently to distribute gently.
5. Pour into the parchment lined tray and bake for 18-20 mins until just cooked, don’t over bake! A sharp knife inserted into the middle should come out a little pasty, not wet and glistening but shouldn’t be completely dry.
6. Leave to cool in the tray for 10 mins, then lift out and place on a wire rack to cool completely. This cuts well into 12 portions I think, but it could be cut smaller too as it’s very rich tasting.