Juliet Sear’s upside down pastry puffs!
TikTok is no stranger to innovative and mouthwatering food trends that have inspired countless culinary food hacks. Well, this month, the buzz is all around the ‘Upside Down Pastry Puff’ hack - a simple way to create a perfectly caramelised fruit tart using frozen puff pastry. But does it work? Juliet Sear is finding out in the kitchen.
Upside down TikTok pastry parcels
Each flavour serves 8
Vegetable oil for greasing
3 sheets of ready-rolled puff pastry, each cut into 8 rectangles
Plain flour for dusting
For the Pear and Brie Parcels:
2-3 ripe pears
8 tsp honey
1 sprig of fresh thyme or rosemary
For the Nectarine, Blueberry and Granola Parcels:
3-4 ripe nectarines
8 tsp honey
Icing sugar for sprinkling
For the Ham and Cheese Parcels:
100g Cheddar cheese
8 thin slices of Parma Ham and/ or pepperoni
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃ fan. Line 2 baking trays per batch with parchment paper and rub over some oil to make sure the filling doesn’t stick to the paper.
2. Take the ready-rolled pastry sheets out of the fridge about 20 minutes before unrolling.
3. Dust the work surface with a small amount of flour, unroll the pastry sheets onto the flour and cut each sheet of pastry into eight rectangles with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
For the Pear and Brie parcels
1. slice the pears into small wedges and slice up the brie.
2. To assemble, drizzle 8 patches of honey evenly spread out onto the lined baking trays, sprinkle some fresh thyme on the honey, add pear slices on top and then top with brie.
3. Place a piece of pastry on top of each of the eight piles of pear and cheese and press down the edges to seal with fingers or a fork. Repeat with the rest of the pastry rectangles.
For the Nectarine, Blueberry and Granola parcels
1. slice up the nectarines.
2. Following the same process as above, drizzle eight patches of honey onto the lined baking trays evenly spread apart, place the nectarine slices on top, add blueberries around the nectarine and scatter over granola.
3. Top each pile of fruit and granola with a piece of pastry and press down the edges to seal with fingers or a fork. Repeat with the rest of the pastry rectangles.
For the Ham and Cheese parcels.
1. Slice the cheese and arrange onto lined baking trays with the ham or pepperoni in eight portions, evenly spread out.
2. Top each portion of ham and cheese with a piece of pastry and press down the edges to seal with fingers or a fork.
1. Crack the egg into a small bowl, lightly beat with a fork and brush across the tops of all the pastry parcels across the trays.
2. Bake the pastry parcels for 18-25 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
3. Carefully peel the pastry parcels from the paper, turn over and place back any ingredients that have fallen out.
4. Finally, sieve some icing sugar over the Nectarine, Blueberry and Granola parcels.
5. Serve them all warm.