Juliet's Cherry Bakewell Cake 🍰
A twist on the classic Bakewell, Juliet Sear's version brings all those classic flavours of almond and cherry into a super simple cake. So grab your cup of tea and enjoy her inspiration for delicious elevenses!
Fresh Cherry Bakewell Cake
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
150g golden caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
3 medium free-range eggs
125g self-raising flour plus a little extra for coating the cherries
75g ground almonds
large pinch of salt
½ tsp baking powder
300g fresh or tinned cherries, pitted, patted dry and tossed lightly in a tablespoon of flour
50g flaked almonds
Icing sugar to dust and fresh cherries to dress
1. Heat the oven to 160c fan.
2. Grease, base and side line an 8” round cake tin with baking paper. Set aside.
3. Using an electric hand mixer, stand mixer or by hand, beat the butter in a large mixing bowl with the sugar and lemon zest for 3-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition, then stir through the flour, almonds and baking powder with a pinch of salt.
5. Stir through half the cherries, then transfer to the prepared tin and poke in the remaining cherries, making sure they’re just covered by the cake mixture. Scatter over with the flaked almonds.
6. Bake for around 50-60 mins or until risen, going dark golden a skewer comes out clean from the centre. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then carefully turn out and leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve and decorate with fresh cherries.