Juliet's easy Bakewell cake
Juliet Sear is in the kitchen to put her twist on a British classic.
She’s taking all the delicious flavours of a Bakewell tart, and putting them into a super simple cake!
Cherry Bakewell cake
175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
125g self-raising flour
¼ tsp baking powder
150g golden caster sugar
3 medium free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g ground almonds
½ tsp almond extract
125g jam of your choice
For the topping
75g royal icing sugar
2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
Some glace cherries to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 160˚C, 3 fan.
2. Grease, base and side line 20cm cake tin with parchment.
3. Dry whisk the flour, ground almonds and baking powder to evenly distribute all the dry together
4. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating between additions, don’t worry if it curdles it will come together when you add the dry ingredients. Add the vanilla and almond extract, then fold the dry ingredients through on slow until just combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the tin, level off and then make little wells with a teaspoon dotted over the batter.
6. Stir the jam and add little blobs from a couple of teaspoons into the holes and then swirl through with a knife to marble through the batter.
7. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until risen, dark golden and completely cooked in the centre. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Add a couple of teaspoons of water into the icing sugar and stir so you have a smooth, spoonable runny icing. Drizzle all over the cake, scatter with the flaked almonds and top with glace cherries to finish.