Marbled ice cream cone cupcakes!🍦
This simple sponge recipe creates two flavours by simply adding cocoa to half of the mix. They are really fun to make and pretty to look at, a great one for parties or making with kids.
Marbled ice cream cone cupcakes!
Serves (Makes 12 - 16 cones)
For the chocolate sauce:
25g golden syrup
50g chocolate chips
For the cakes:
150g soft butter
150g golden caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
12-16 ice cream cone cups (flat bottom)
For the frosting:
250g softened unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
500g icing sugar
A few cherries with stems (optional)
Sprinkles of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan, 200C, gas 6.
2. To make the chocolate sauce, place the golden syrup and chocolate chips in a small pan and bring to the boil. Stir well, remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, beating well in between each addition. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until just combined. Split the mixture into two bowls then add the cocoa powder to one of the bowls and stir through.
6. Place the cones into a cupcake tin to stop them moving around too much. Dollop alternating teaspoons of vanilla and chocolate mixture into the cones until about two-thirds full, each should weigh about 40g when filled.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown, a cake tester should come out clean. Leave to cool before topping. If any have risen a little bit over the top of the cone, trim these with a knife so they are flush with the top of the cone.
8. Whip the butter and vanilla together until soft and creamy then gradually add in the icing sugar, bit by bit, beating well until light pale and fluffy - try my top tip of adding 1 tbsp of just-boiled water to lighten the buttercream and make it very smooth so you can pipe in a whippy style.
9. Load into the piping bag and pipe swirls over the cupcakes. Decorate with chocolate sauce, flakes, cherries and sprinkles.