Michela Chiappa's chicken parmigiana
A cross between the classic Pollo Milanese and Parmigiana, this recipe is the best of both worlds.
Smothered in a tomato sauce with pieces of melted mozzarella on the top - Michela’s showing you why it’s the perfect weeknight family feast.
2 chicken breasts, skin removed
2 medium eggs, preferably free-range or organic
Salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon dried herbs
4 teaspoon salted butter, plus extra if needed
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1 ball of fresh mozzarella
Basil to garnish
1. Slice each chicken breast horizontally across the middle to make 4 fillets.
2. Cover with cling film and, using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, pound each fillet until it is about 0.5cm thick.
3. Beat the eggs in a shallow dish, and season with salt and pepper. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate and mix in the herbs.
4. Dip a piece of chicken first in the egg and then coat in the herby breadcrumbs.
5. Melt the butter with a glug of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
6. Cook the chicken for about 2-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through. You may need to cook the chicken in batches, depending on the size of your pan – use a teaspoon of butter and olive oil per chicken piece.
7. Preheat your oven to 180c
8. Place your chicken to the side once cooked
9. Blend the tin of tomatoes, oregano and tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a food processor or hand held blender. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Place the chicken in an oven proof dish
11. Cover the chicken evenly with the tomato sauce
12. Tear and scatter the mozzarella over the chicken.
13. Cook the chicken in the oven for approx 15 minutes to heat the dish and melt the mozzarella.
14. Garnish the chicken with basil leaves and serve.