Michela Chiappa's hug in a bowl!
Michela is back in the kitchen with a family recipe, her mother's beef in red wine stew. All you need is 10 minutes to prep and then you leave it to slow cook.
Great served with creamy mashed potato and crunchy cabbage, for a delicious and tasty family feast.
Michela's Mum's braised beef in red wine stew
Serves 4 - 6
50g salted butter
1kg lean beef joint
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 organic beef stock cube dissolved in 200ml boiling water
750ml full-bodied red wine (e.g. Merlot)
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 bay leaves
8 black peppercorns
Optional, serve with -
1. Preheat the oven to 140C.
2. In a large casserole dish, melt the butter over a heat and brown the beef on all sides for about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes - be careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Dissolve the stock cube in 200ml boiling water and add to the pan with the wine, tomato puree, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a slow boil, then cover with a lid, and place in the oven for 4-6 hours, until the meat is tender and shreddable.
4. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside, covered in tin foil to keep warm. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
5. Very carefully blitz the juices with a handheld blender and reduce over a high heat for 10 minutes. Serve the meat with the rich wine sauce and vegetables of your choice (suggestions above).
For an even richer sauce, mum sometimes adds a handful of porcini mushrooms along with the stock.
If you think it needs it, you can use a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken the sauce. Stir it into the reduced sauce and cook for 2 minutes.