Mike Reid's spiced lamb shoulder and tarte tatin
As coronavirus restrictions impact our social lives once again, Mike Reid’s showing you how to make the most of the rules, with his delicious dinner party menu for six.
He whips up spiced lamb shoulder with egg-fried rice, before serving a tarte tatin for dessert.
Korean lamb shoulder with egg-fried rice
1 lamb shoulder on the bone
4 tbsp gochujang
5 garlic cloves
3 tbsp soy sauce
4cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
3 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp honey
1 ½ tbsp sesame oil
½ tbsp cracked black pepper
For the egg-fried rice
Basmati rice 300g cooked (ideally the day before is better for a fried rice)
100g frozen peas
20ml rapeseed oil for cooking
1. Preheat oven 180C, gas 4
2. Mix the gochujang, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, mirin, honey, sesame oil and black pepper together in a small bowl until well combined. Using a sharp knife, make small but deep incisions all over the lamb shoulder. Rub the mixture all over the meat, working it into the incisions (this will enable the meat to absorb all the flavours).
3. Cover the tray tightly with kitchen foil and roast the lamb for 3 hours, basting the meat every 45 minutes with the juices in the tray. Remove the foil and roast the lamb for a further 35–45 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and golden and the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
4. Cover the lamb with kitchen foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes
5. In the meantime, cook your rice. It only takes a few minutes
6. Hot wok/pan, whisk up your eggs and then add to the pan and scramble on high heat using the oil
7. Add your frozen peas next and 10 seconds later add your rice and toss through until hot. Serve together with the lamb on a big platter for 6.
6-7 Cox apples (peeled, cored and cut in half)
50g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
350g puff pastry
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, gas 5
2. Add butter to a non stick pan and melt slowly. Once almost melted, sprinkle the caster sugar over the butter and start to heat until almost caramel consistency. Add apples on top, with the core side facing up. Add vanilla pod in the centre and remove from heat.
3. Tuck pastry around the apples and slightly cup the fruit with it
4. Add to the oven and bake for 20 minutes
5. Remove from heat, flip out onto a plate and serve with ice cream