Nisha Katona's quick chicken korma
She’s usually cooking up a spice sensation in our kitchen, but now Nisha Katona is taking us on tour. Over the next few weeks she’ll be samping everything from magnificent masalas to perfect pasandas, on her Great British Curry Tour. She’s kick-starting things today in our nation’s capital, to find out how London really shaped the curry scene, before whipping up her quick chicken korma.
Quick chicken korma
120 ml vegetable oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 cubes frozen ginger
2 cubes frozen garlic
2 heaped tsp garam masala
¼ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
3 large chicken breasts around 600g – cut into 1.5cm chunks
200 - 300ml water (depending on your preferred consistency)
1 tbsp ground almonds
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
200ml crème fraîche
Fresh coriander to serve
1. Put the vegetable oil in a large heavy based pan, over a medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and cook for around 6 minutes.
2. Now add the garlic and ginger cubes and cook for a further 2 minutes or until everything has softened and turned golden brown.
3. Add the diced chicken and cook for a few minutes to seal the outside. Then add the turmeric, chilli and garam masala, stirring well so that it is coated in all the spices.
4. Add 100ml water along with the salt. Cook on a bright simmer without a lid for 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is substantially reduced.
5. Next stir through the creme fraiche and to give more sauce add another 100ml of water and just before serving add the ground almonds, sugar and chopped coriander.