Nisha Katona's family favourite - Lamb Rogan Josh
Nisha’s back to share a family favourite - her dad‘s recipe for Rogan Josh! A rich and warming curry full of flavour, that's slow cooked for a mouthwatering meal.
Lamb shank Rogan Josh
4½ tbsp vegetable oil
2 large white onions, medium diced
5cm piece of fresh ginger, 20g, peeled and grated
5 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
2 tbsp garam masala
1 ½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ ground turmeric
½ chilli powder
1 ½ tbsp paprika
4 small lamb shanks
2 medium potatoes, halved
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
Obligatory backup jug of water, to loosen the dish
1 handful of coriander leaves, chopped
Rice or french baguettes
1. Put the vegetable oil in a large heavy-based pan and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the diced onions, ginger and garlic and cook for 8 minutes until the onions have softened and turned golden brown.
2. Stir in the garam masala, cinnamon powder, ground turmeric, chilli powder and paprika and fry for 30 seconds. Add the lamb and fry until it starts to turn brown, stirring well so that it is fully coated with the spices.
3. Add the halved potatoes, chopped tomatoes, water, salt and brown sugar and bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer gently for 1 ½ hours until tender and falling off the bone. Add more water, if necessary, to loosen to your taste before serving.
4. Serve with rice or French baguette.
5. Scatter the coriander over the dish.