Nisha Katona's one pot Dahl
Ready in just minutes, Nisha's one-pot Mango and spinach Dahl is perfect when you need a nutritious meal in a hurry!
Green bean and mango Dahl
250g red lentils
1 large, green mango, peeled, stoned and cut into 1½ cm chunks
200g canned chopped tomatoes
½ tsp ground turmeric
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1tsp cumin seeds
1 fat green chilli, sliced
100g runner or green beans, cut into quarters
1 tsp sugar
1½ tsp salt
Juice of ½ lemon
Small bunch of coriander chopped
For the rice
2 tbs of pine nuts
200g of rice
2 pinch salt
1. Put the lentils, mango, chopped tomatoes, ground turmeric and 1 litre of boiling water into a large pan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan with a lid and leave to cook for 15 mins until lentils are soft.
2. When the lentils are almost cooked, hear the oil in a non-stick frying pan/skillet over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds until fragrant and turn golden brown. Add the sliced chilli to the pan and fry, stirring continuously, for 10 seconds and then add the beans and cook stirring still.
3. Tip the contents of the frying pan into the pan with the lentils and stir to combine.
4. Add a couple of handfuls of chopped baby spinach and stir through the sauce to wilt for a few minutes.
5. Add the sugar, salt and lemon juice to the pan and stir to combine then spoon the Dahl into serving dishes and garnish with the fresh chopped coriander before serving.
For the rice
1. Dry fry 2 pine nuts in a saucepan until they turn brown.
2. Now add one cup of white basmati rice and 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt.
3. Simmer until it is nearly dry. Placed the lid on and switch the heat off and leave for 10 minutes.