Nisha Katona's South Indian meatball curry
Nisha's spiced meatballs are wonderfully simple in that they're basically a construction job, add them to a simple curry sauce and you will have yourself a family-friendly delicious meatball curry.
South Indian meatball curry
50ml vegetable oil1 ½ tsp black mustard seeds2 large onions- roughly chopped2 cubes frozen ginger or 3cm pieces, finely chopped or grated2 cubes frozen garlic or 2 cloves garlic, crushed5 curry leaves
For the meatballs
500g chicken mince2 tbsp ground coriander1 tsp salt30g chives, finely chopped
100g creamed coconut grated200ml coconut milk100 water2 fat green chillies, roughly chopped1 tsp turmeric¼ tsp chilli powder2 tbsp garam masala1 ½ tbsp ground coriander2 tsp salt 1 tsp sugar200g crème fraiche
Fresh coriander roughly chopped, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a heavy based pan over a medium to high heat. Once hot add the mustard seeds and fry until they fizz and pop. Next add the onions, cook for 6 minutes, and then add the ginger, garlic, and curry leaves. Cook for a further 2 minutes or until it is all golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl mix all the meatball ingredients together well. Take heaped tablespoon amounts of the mix and roll into balls, about the size of a golf ball.
3. Lower the heat of the onion mix and add the creamed coconut, coconut milk and water and stir. Next add the spices, the salt and sugar. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
4. Increase the heat on the sauce and drop the kofta meatballs in. Cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through on a medium heat with the lid on. Add the crème fraiche and stir.
5. Just before serving, throw in a handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander