Nisha spices up our Sunday roast!
Roast dinners aren’t just to be eaten, they are to be devoured. But sometimes they can feel a little... predictable. So today, Nisha’s shaking things up in the kitchen by giving the classic Sunday roast a spicy twist. Her tandoori roast lamb with turmeric roast potatoes is sure to be a new family favourite.
1 small white onion peeled
10 cm peeled ginger
8 garlic cloves
3 tbsp plain yoghurt
90 ml veg oil
1 tbsp salt
4 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
4 tbsp non smoked (sweet) paprika powder
1 ½ tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp of the fenugreek powder
2 kg leg of lamb
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. In a food processor, blend together the onions, ginger and garlic - when it is in a paste form, fold in the yoghurt, the oil, the salt and the spices.
3. Place the leg of lamb in a large roasting dish. Score the lamb leg and pour the paste over rubbing it into the gashes. Ideally leave to marinade in the fridge overnight please! OR for as long as you can - It can be done immediately but it is much better when left to absorb the spices.
4. Make a loose tent with the foil over the top of the dish and add water to the tray. Roast for 2 ½ - 3 hours on 160C until the lamb is tender and falling off the bone.
Turmeric roast potatoes
1kg floury white potatoes, peeled and chopped to roastie size
1 cup rapeseed oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp fenugreek powder
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Par boil the potatoes on the hob in a saucepan.
3. In a roasting tray, add all the other ingredients and mix well.
4. Drain the potatoes well, shake them out and add them into the oil mix, making sure the potatoes are well coated. Place into the oven for 30 minutes.