Nisha's Friday night curry, a golden oldie!
A golden oldie but a good one! Nisha is in the kitchen ready to show us how to master the classic, Chicken Tikka Masala.
Chicken tikka masala
600g chicken breast, diced into 3cm pieces
3 tbsp tandoori masala
100ml vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
5cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
150g tomato puree
2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
2 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1 ½ tsp salt
4 tsp brown sugar
Optional, ¼ tsp chilli powder
100g creme fraiche
Handful of freshly chopped coriander
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
White basmati rice
1. Preheat a griddle pan to a medium to high heat.
2. Dice your chicken breast into 3cm pieces and add the tandoori masala and 1.5 tbsp of the oil and mix well. Carefully place the chicken onto the hot pan and griddle until slightly charred, then set aside.
3. Set a separate pan over a high heat and add the rest of the oil. When hot, add the onions, the garlic and the ginger. Turn the heat to medium/low, and cook until the onions have turned golden and sweet.
4. Next add the spices and then the tomato puree. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes on a bright heat making sure the tomato puree is beginning to cook through a little. Now add the water. Then add the sugar and salt, then bring the pan to the boil and remove from the heat. Blend the sauce until silky smooth for about 1 minute.
5. Return the pan to the heat and add the charred chicken pieces and simmer on a medium heat for around 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat and gently fold in the creme fraiche.
6. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and the pomegranate