Nisha Katona's masala lamb chops
By Nisha’s own admission this dish conjures up the smell of Mowgli.
The long marinade means this lamb is bursting with flavours and spices. Cooked on a grill and served with a salad it's simple but delicious and a firm favourite in Nisha’s household.
Spiced lamb chops served with kale and goji
8 lamb chops, 1 inch thick
250g plain yoghurt
4 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp fenugreek powder
2 tbsp tomato puree
Juice one lemon
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
Kale and goji salad
100g sliced curly kale, blanched to softened slightly, and drain
3 tbsp salted cashews
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp goji berries
2 apples, unpeeled but cut into fine batons
1/2 cup sesame oil
3 tsp maple syrup
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together for the marinade and add the lamb chops, then fully coat all of the meat. Leave to marinate in the fridge, ideally overnight.
2. When ready to eat, remove the chops from the fridge and grill the chops or BBQ over high heat, for 4-5 minutes on both sides, or to taste.
3. For the salad, slice the curly kale and blanch. Add the cashews, pumpkin seeds, goji berries and apples into a bowl along with the kale, and toss the salad ingredients together.
4. For the dressing, add the sesame oil, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar to a bowl and mix well together with the seasoning. Toss through the salad.
5. Serve the salad alongside the chops.