|
Weekdays 10am-12:30pm ITV

Over-50s could be told to shield to avoid second nationwide lockdown

Boris Johnson is reportedly considering asking millions of over 50s to stay at home and shield under a new plan to prevent a second nationwide lockdown if there is a second wave of coronavirus.

The Prime Minister is considering asking a larger number of people in England to take part in the shielding programme should there be a big spike in Covid-19 cases. Previously, only people over the age of 70 were asked to shield due to their age, but the government may be lowering that age to 50.

A Sunday Times report said people aged between 50 and 70 could be given personalised risk ratings, taking into account factors such as age and medical conditions.

Downing Street has distanced itself from the details in the reports, calling them "speculative". They claim that, "Moving forwards, we hope to be able to operate on a localised approach… but we don't have any plans for a national blanket approach."

|
Weekdays 10am-12:30pm ITV