Phil Vickery Feeds The Family For a Fiver 💵
Phil’s kicking off Monday with a real treat for both the taste buds and the purse strings. He's making his pulled chicken burger with barbecue sauce and a hot potato salad - which feeds a family of four for £5!
Pulled Chicken Barbecue Burger & Potato Salad
4 tbsp vegetable oil
6 chicken thighs, skin on, bone-in
1 x crumbly chicken stock cube
6 tbsp barbecue sauce
6 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp runny honey
500g bag frozen vegetables (beans, peas, carrots, sweetcorn), defrosted
2 tbsp mayonnaise
500g new potatoes, boiled and halved
1 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
4 sesame burger buns
1. Heat a large saute pan and add the veg oil.
2. Season the thighs well on both sides, then place skin side down in the hot oil.
3. Brown well and turn over, then sprinkle with the crumbly stock cube.
4. Cover and turn down to a medium heat and cook for 20-25 minutes gently.
5. Lift out the thighs and strain the juices really well.
6. To the strained juices add the ingredients for the sauce and mix really well.
7. Place the defrosted vegetables into a bowl and fold through the mayo well.
8. In a bowl add the butter and mint to the potatoes and stir through so the potatoes are coated.
9. Chop the chicken into long strips and mix with the sauce.
10. Pile the chicken onto the buns and serve with the veg salad on the side.